We strive to deliver exemplary patient experiences, always. We recognize that sometimes patients and their families may have concerns or wish to share their positive patient experience with us. To make continuous improvements we want and need to hear from you.
We encourage you to always speak with members of your healthcare team, including one of more of your nurse, doctor or the Patient Care Manager responsible for the clinical area you are in. Additionally, the Patient Relations office is available to help resolve your concerns. Please contact Patient Relations in one of the following ways:
Kelly Ingram: Patient Relations Advisor (with direct access to the President & CEO)
Telephone: 905-338-4138 (if we are unavailable to take your call, please leave a brief message and your call will be returned as soon as possible)
Please let us know if you require communication supports to provide feedback and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please note: if you are providing feedback for someone other than yourself, Halton Healthcare must have consent of the patient (or their parent/guardian) before disclosing any information to a third party. If the patient is not capable of providing consent, we will require consent from the patient’s Substitute Decision Maker (SDM).
When contacting us by email or letter, please include the following information:
- Your name and phone number
- If you are not the patient, please add the patient’s name, date of birth or address, and your relationship to the patient
- Details of your experience, including location (hospital, unit or clinic), persons involved, and date
- Have you spoken to anyone on the care team about your concern?
- Would you like someone to follow-up with you? If so, what questions would you like answered or what is your hope for resolution?
How can Patient Relations help me?
Patient Relations can:
- Support you and your family to resolve any concerns they may have about the care they have received at Halton Healthcare
- Facilitate effective communication between you and your healthcare team
- Share your ‘Compliments and Concerns’ with your healthcare team
Our Patient Relations Process
Patient Relations will seek to respond to your feedback and assist you in resolving any issues or concerns you or your family may have.
- When you contact Patient Relations with an issue or concern, we will acknowledge receipt, within 5 business days.
- We will explain the process to you and obtain information related to your issue or concern from you. If you are not the patient, we will also explain how privacy legislation will affect our ability to communicate any follow-up information to you.
- We will look into the facts related to your concerns by connecting with members of your healthcare team, reviewing your records and discussing your concerns with the appropriate program leadership.
- We will work with you in a professional manner and keep you informed of our progress at appropriate intervals.
- We will provide a response to address your concerns and discuss any potential resolution with you.
- We strive to do our best within our internal constraints to resolve your complaint. We understand that resolution is subjective. If you remain dissatisfied with the proposed resolution, we can help you to appeal to our Director of Patient Relations or the provincial Patient Ombudsman office.