Our Clinical Transformation
On November 13, we went live with a significant upgrade to our electronic health record. The new system, Meditech Expanse is used in hundreds of hospitals worldwide, including many in Ontario. This transformational project will empower inter-professional collaboration; transform the staff and physician experience; and, enhance high-quality, safe patient care through the implementation of:
- Computerized Provider Order Entry (CPOE)
- Bedside Medication Verification (BMV)
- Improved analytics
- Enhanced quality and safety surveillance to drive ongoing improvement
The new system improves processes, reduces duplication and the number of times patients have to repeat their medical history. This is one of the largest and most exciting projects in our history and will impact virtually all of our staff, providers and departments at our organization.
The new system will:
- Allow our care teams to more easily exchange patient data for more consistent, collaborative and coordinated patient care
- Help to ensure that patients will be less likely to undergo duplicate tests or need to tell their “story” over and over.
- Ensure a patient’s record will follow them throughout their hospital stay and will be available for future visits.
With every change comes a period of transition. We would like to thank you in advance for your patience and understanding as our teams begin using the new technology to serve you better.
If you are coming to the hospital after November 13:
- Initially, it may take staff and physicians longer than usual to work in the new system
- Staff will be using new technology and handheld devices
- You will see a lot of technology support staff wearing green shirts
Implementation of this new system is a one of the priorities identified in our new strategic plan and will support our vision of providing exemplary patient experiences, always.