Formal Process under Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA)
This Act encompasses access to information related to the business practices of public funded organizations, such as government, schools, and hospitals. As tax payers, the individuals funding these organizations have a right to know how their tax dollars are being spent. This does not include personal health information.
A formal request for access must be in writing, accompanied by a $5.00 application fee, and should provide sufficient detail to enable the hospital to identify the records.
If an individual is seeking access to his/her own personal information, the request must also identify the location of the personal information being requested or the personal information bank.
All written requests must also include the following contact information:
- day-time telephone number.
Any written request that makes reference to the Act and is accompanied by the required $5.00 application fee, will be accepted as a formal request.
Upon receipt of a written request, an acknowledgement letter will be sent to the requester. If the request does not sufficiently describe the record sought, the Freedom of Information Coordinator will contact the requester for clarification of the request.
The hospital will make every reasonable effort to respond to a formal request within thirty (30) days after a complete request is received, unless specific exceptions in FIPPA apply that warrant an extension or exemption.
In processing a request, costs for time, materials and services may be incurred. Specific fees that may be charged are set out in the regulations to FIPPA. If it appears that the cost of processing the request will be over $100.00, the requestor will be given a fee estimate and may be required to pay a deposit equal to 50 percent of the estimate before taking further steps to respond to the request.
Tips on Formal Process - under FIPPA
- Mail or deliver the completed request with original signature and the $5.00 application fee to Halton Healthcare Services Freedom of Information Coordinator, Clinical Information Services Department. Cheques should be made payable to Halton Healthcare Services.
- As a formal request is not complete until the original is received and the $5.00 fee paid, emails and faxes are not acceptable for a formal request under FIPPA.
- Be as specific as possible in describing the records you would like to access. The more specific your request the more quickly and accurately it can be responded to. In particular, location and time period of the records if known.
- If you are requesting records for another person, you will have to provide proof that you have the authority to act for that person.
Formal requests for access to information can be made under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and should be submitted to Halton Healthcare's Freedom of Information Coordinator:
Angie ArmstrongOakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital
Freedom of Information Coordinator
Clinical Information Services
3001 Hospital Gate
Oakville ON, L6M 0L8
905-338-4690 Ext 4128