Internal Field Hospitals
During Wave 1 of the COVID-19 pandemic, and in anticipation of increased demand on hospital resources, Halton Healthcare built two internal field hospitals in existing shelled-in space at Milton District Hospital and Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital.
In response to rising COVID-19 cases, the province initiated a GTA Hospital Incident Management System (IMS) structure to monitor hospital capacity needs across the region in real time. The GTA Hospital IMS is a single regional decision-making body with the authority to move patients to and from hospitals. Both our field hospitals support the health care system as a whole with capacity for additional patients;
- MDH Internal Field Hospital – up to 12 beds, opened in June 2020
- OTMH Internal Field Hospital – up to 40 beds, opened in December 2020
- Used for short-stay, stable patients
- Not used to care for COVID-19 positive patients or for those under investigation for COVID-19
- Using existing space inside the hospitals provides better access to infrastructure and support services such as clinical staff, diagnostics, pharmacy, lab and food service
Click here to watch a short video about our internal field hospitals.
News Releases and Media Coverage
On Site COVID-19 Rapid Testing Device a “Game Changer” at Georgetown Hospital - February 4, 2021
Halton Healthcare Plays Key Role in Provincial Pandemic Response - January 12, 2021
Halton Healthcare Administers first COVID-19 Vaccine in Halton - December 22, 2020
Restarting Scheduled Care at Halton Healthcare Hospitals - June 30, 2020
Booking COVID-19 tests at the Halton Healthcare Priority Testing & Assessment Centres - June 1, 2020
Halton Healthcare helps patients and families stay connected (Virtual Visiting Program) - May 6, 2020
Click here to view CTV coverage on our Response to the Pandemic.