We are not currently accepting observational or shadowing experiences for Nursing and Allied Health Professions.
We do not accept placement requests directly from students.
Confirmed clinical student placement
Welcome to Halton Healthcare! We are committed to providing students with an exceptional learning experience that is both valuable and memorable. You will find that this orientation information is designed to support your learning by providing both an introduction to our organization and 'important to know' information as you begin your placement. Please take the time to review the information provided on this page as it will contribute to a positive and safe experience at Halton Healthcare.
Best wishes for a successful learning experience and in your future professional career.
RN BScN MHSM
Director, Professional Practice
Our Locations and Parking
Students with a confirmed clinical placement can access a monthly pass at the staff rate at each of our three hospitals. For information on how to find us please click here. Students at Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital (OTMH) may park in surface parking lot #5 and in some cases #8 (depending upon your pass type) as well as levels 5 & 6 of the parking garage; students at Milton District Hospital (MDH) may park in lot #1 and students at Georgetown Hospital (GH) may park in the staff lot.
Questions? Contact the parking cashier 905.845.2571 x6595 or Businessdevelopment@haltonhealthcare.com
As a student, you are expected to wear a photo identification badge at all times (provided by your academic institution). In addition, for placements throughout all of OTMH and MDH as well as the GH Emergency Department you will be issued an access card which will be required for movement throughout the buildings. A deposit of $20 cash is required at the time you receive your access card which will be provided back to you when your access card is returned at the end of your placement. You are also expected to adhere to Halton Healthcare's policies on ‘uniforms and dress code’ – please take a few minutes to review the policy prior to the start of your placement.
Policy Review and Training
Please read and review the Confidentiality and ICT Use of Technology policies found on this page prior to commencing your placement. Note: upon completion, please bring a copy of the Policy Acknowledgement Form signed to your computer training. If you are not attending computer training, please have your signed form sent to the Office of Professional Practice.
Computer Training - Nursing
Approximately two weeks prior to the commencement of your clinical placement you will receive detailed information including the date and time to attend Halton Healthcare student computer training. Communication regarding computer training will come from your Placement Coordinator. Please note that all nursing student computer training is done at: Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital - 3001 Hospital Gate, Oakville, ON L6M 0L8. Ensure you allow extra time prior to your training session for parking. An ICT staff member will meet you by the piano in the main lobby of the hospital and escort you to the training room just prior your scheduled training time.
All students will be required to complete the training listed below (using your assigned eLearning username and password). The eLearning modules must be completed prior to commencing your clinical placement.To access the eLearning Centre – click here.
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA)
- Essential Health & Safety Awareness
- Emergency Preparedness and Fire Safety
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Incident Reporting
- Privacy and Security
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Workplace Violence & Harassment Prevention
In addition, the following computer/eLearning training will need to be completed:
- Meditech Expanse: Allied Health 101
Nurse Practitioner & Midwifery Students
- Meditech Expanse: Physician 101
Additional discipline specific computer training will be communicated to you by your preceptor on the first day of your placement.
Nursing Students: Out-of-Scope Activities
- Act as a witness under any circumstances or for any purpose
- Provide second signature/check for controlled drugs, blood products, and medications listed as requiring independent double checking, double signing and documentation
- Provide telephone advice for discharged families
- Perform controlled acts without close supervision by a nurse
- Take verbal or telephone orders
- Use the capillary blood-glucose meter or any Point of Care device
- Access of specialty lines [Central Venous Access Devices (CVADs), Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters (PICCs), etc.]
- Be left in charge of the unit or sole care of any patient
- Be providing care in the absence of a preceptor or other registered staff delegate
- Are not to administer medications without the approval of their preceptor or faculty and nurses must abide by the CNO medication administration standard
- Perform delegated medical acts