QuaIity Improvement Plan 2021/22
The Quality Improvement Plan is a fundamental component of the Excellent Care for All Act (ECFAA), first passed in June 2010. This legislation requires that health service providers from all sectors develop an annual Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) for the following fiscal year and make that plan available to the public.
Halton Healthcare is pleased to share its 2021/22 Quality Improvement Plan (QIP). This plan contains many of the same features of its predecessors: an identified list of system-focused quality indicators, performance data and targets as well as associated improvement initiatives and milestones. The plan also continues to represent a subset of our broader corporate quality and safety plan with the (QIP) indicators selected, aligned to the broader provincial health system quality agenda. Yet this plan follows on a year of extraordinary upheaval and a near single-minded focus on the COVID-19 Pandemic Response. The traditional infrastructure from the Ministry with respect to quality improvement planning, such as priority goal setting, planning tools and resources, have not been forthcoming. The development processes that we have leveraged to guide our consultation and development have been disrupted and our organizational capacity to respond to new initiatives is somewhat limited at this time. For these reasons, this plan largely represents a building upon of improvement initiatives from the 2020/21 plan. Halton Healthcare’s 2021/22 Quality Improvement Plan identifies seven quality indicators and thirteen improvement initiatives. The indicators identified in the plan include:
- Average number of inpatients per day receiving care in unconventional spaces
- Alternate Level of Care
- Emergency Department wait time for inpatient bed
- Did you receive enough information when you left the hospital?
- Medication Reconciliation at Discharge
- Repeat Emergency Department Visits for Mental Health
- Number of reported workplace violence incidents
The annual QIP is comprised of two parts:
- Narrative: A brief overview of the organization's key quality improvement priorities for the upcoming year. It sets the overall context for the detailed descriptions of selected indicators and targets contained in the
- Work Plan. Work Plan: A detailed table that outlines our improvement targets and planned initiatives that will drive improvement in the indicators.
Please feel free to contact us at for additional information on our Quality and Patient Safety Program at Halton Healthcare.
Director Quality and Patient Relations
3001 Hospital Gate Oakville, ON L6M 0L8