Medication Safety is a Priority at HHS
Halton Healthcare Services (HHS) is implementing a comprehensive, multi-year plan to upgrade and automate its medication management system. Focusing on patient care and safety, this plan involves the implementation of some of the latest medication dispensing, storage and retrieval technology available on the market today at all three of its hospitals. It has a number of built in safeguards to ensure that the right patient is getting the right dose of the right medication and that the process is properly documented.
Medication Safety Takes Working Together
Our healthcare providers work in partnership with you to help keep you safe. Together, we ensure that the medications you receive are exactly what you need for your care and treatment.
What you can do to help
- Make sure you always keep an accurate list of the medications you take at home. Bring this list with you when you come to the hospital.
- Understand what your medications are for – talk to your community pharmacist for information. In hospital – be sure to ask us to explain your medications so you understand
- Let us know if you have any allergies to medications and what your reaction has been
What we are doing to keep you safe
- We will ask you about your home medications and review them with you. This includes both over-the-counter and prescription medications
- We compare your home medication list to the hospital list to make sure nothing is missed – this happens when you are admitted to hospital, if you are transferred to another unit and when you are discharged
- We always check your identify before any medication is given. This will include asking you who you are and when you were born and reviewing your armband.
A form to list your medications is available for printing.