Caring Today, Growing for Tomorrow.

Caring Today, Growing for Tomorrow.

Our History

1937

A two ward, four-bed hospital is established at the corner of Eighth Line and MacDonald Road in Oakville.

1943

Doctor C.K. Stevenson converts his Martin Street residence into the ten bed, two bassinet Milton Private Hospital. The hospital eventually grew to 17 beds before it closed in 1959 just after the new Milton District Hospital opened.

1944

A group of Oakville residents form the Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital Association to raise money to build a new hospital when it becomes evident that critically ill or injured patients will not survive the trip to Toronto. The group quickly raises $100,000 for the new hospital but construction plans are put on hold until after World War II.

1945

A temporary hospital is established in Oakville by the Lion's Club on First Street. The increase to 14 beds is a drastic improvement but still does not meet the needs of the rapidly growing community.

 

1948

An additional campaign is launched by the Oakville Association to raise $125,000.

1949

The new hospital is built and the Auxiliary to OTMH is founded with 100 members.

1950

February 14 : Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital (OTMH) opens on the present site - 50 beds, 13 staff doctors, and 13 nurses. Oakville residents help move eight patients and six babies into the new hospital.

 

1952

L120-bed addition is planned for Oakville. Population is 17,300.

1953

At a dinner party hosted by John and Taffy Gunn. It was at that party that Dr. Alistair MacIntosh challenged his friend, Jack, to build a hospital in Georgetown.

1954

Chamber of Commerce President Bruce MacNab in Milton, at a Chamber of Commerce meeting, suggests that the community consider establishing a local hospital. MacNab, along with John Wright and Ron Harris are appointed to initiate plans for a new district Hospital.

 

1955

The first Board of Directors is named for the Milton General Hospital.

Oakville's population has increased from 13,000 to 30,000 and shows no signs of stopping. The hospital is under stress again.

1957

January 10: The first elected Directors of the Georgetown Hospital (GTH) Association were chosen. They were John Gunn, Chair; Barbara Marks, Secretary; Elsie Hamilton, Treasurer; Denney Charles; and William Kinrade.

 

1958

The Hospital Auxiliary is formed in Milton by Mrs. Frank McNiven and Mrs. Chester Service. They raise $21,000 in their first year.

January 30: The Georgetown Hospital Board received approval from the Ontario Hospital Services Commission for a 50-bed hospital in Georgetown.

February: The Board settled upon an official name for the institution. The chosen name, suggested by the mayor of Georgetown, Jack Armstrong, was "Georgetown and District Memorial Hospital". The "and District" recognized contributions made by residents of Acton, rural areas and the surrounding hamlets. The "Memorial" referred to those whose names would grace plaques outside many of the rooms.

 

Before the GTH hospital was even built, Muriel Adams founded the Auxiliary, which immediately started raising funds through raffles, fashion shows, flower sales and bazaars.

1959

OTMH operating expenses pass the one million-dollar mark. Oakville area population approaches 40,000.

November 21: Dr. M.B. Dymond, Minister of Health, officially opens Milton District Hospital. The new health care facility consists of 53 beds and 8 bassinets.

December 14: The first patient, Elizabeth Hannant, is admitted to the new Milton hospital.

December 18: Wanda Ramsbottom, MDH's first baby, is born.

The extension of highway 401 significantly increases community visibility and traffic to Milton, bringing in more emergency patients.

1960

June 12 - At a sod-turning ceremony in Georgetown, attended by local workers, MPP Stan Brown and the Deputy Minister of Health Dr. W.G. Brown, Mrs. Ruth Inglis, second President of the Hospital Auxiliary, plants a red maple tree.

1961

June 17 - Hundreds of people turn out in Georgetown as MP Sandy Best cuts the ribbon across the front door. John Gunn accepts a giant key in recognition of his efforts and Provincial Minister of Health Dr. M.B. Dymond declares his pleasure at opening the third hospital in Halton in a year.

 

June 27 - The Georgetown and District Memorial Hospital opened its door to accept patients. The new hospital consisted of 64 beds. The first to arrive in Emergency was 12-year-old Ed Roodzant and Pauline Moore checked in later that day as the first in patient. Early on the 28th at 3:30 a.m., Ron Marchand became the hospital's first baby boy.

 

1962

The medical emergency section of the MDH is becoming increasingly overcrowded. Beds are set up in corridors. As a result, Bruce MacNab, Chairman of the Board, initiates plans for a $610,000, 50-bed expansion.

1963

Completion of a new wing of OTMH which included new operating and recovery rooms, a chapel, new x-ray and obstetrical departments and a state of the art intensive care unit, which is one of the first in Canada. The addition brings the hospital's total to 333 beds.

 

The Candy Striper program was founded at GH by Volunteer, Blanche Goudeketting.

1964

Prior to the creation of the formal OTM Hospital Foundation an Endowment Trust Fund was established which members of the Hospital's board and community managed.

At OTMH a nurses' residence, the Helen Lawson building, opens. The building is named for Mrs. Raymond Lawson, wife of former Lieutenant Governor of Ontario and a long-time supporter of OTMH.

1965

July - The Candystriper Program is launched by the Hospital Auxiliary in Milton.

1966

A contract is awarded for a new wing at MDH with enlarged services and facilities.

1967

May 13 - Dr. M.B. Dymond, Minister of Health, officially opens the second floor addition which increases MDH’s capacity from 53 to 83 beds. The expansion includes administration offices, a boardroom, elevators, a clinical classroom, a Hospital Auxiliary Gift Shop, a new physiotherapy department and an outdoor solarium for ambulatory patients.

1969

Ambulance is based at MDH.

January - Town of Milton's boundaries changed so the present MDH became part of the Town of Milton. Before this date, babies born at the hospital were registered as Oakville residents.

1970

Assessment for future healthcare needs forms the basis of a redevelopment program for the entire OTMH. This became known as the Master Plan.

1972

July 7 - MDH buys ten additional acres at $4000/acre.

1976

The arrival of the first obstetrician at GH, Dr. Raj Mander.

1977

The Georgetown and District Memorial Hospital Foundation was formally established. The Foundation's first accomplishment was the purchase of 18 acres of land south of Princess Anne Drive.

 

The Master Plan is approved by the Ontario Ministry of Health. The plan involves the redevelopment of the OTMH in three separate but continuous building stages.

1979

Phase one of the OTMH Master Plan is completed including a new Emergency, Radiology, Outpatient, Admitting, Laboratory, Physical Plant and Obstetrical Departments. The other phases of the plan are never completed because funding was stopped before they got underway.

 

October - Doctor Eric "Soapy" Soanes dies at the age of 78. Dr. Soanes was the first Chief of Staff at OTMH, a Lions Club member integral in establishing the temporary hospital.

 

November 11 - Mississauga Train Derailment forces the evacuation of OTMH.

1980

Milton District Hospital Foundation is formed with the sole purpose of raising funds for the hospital.

1981

February 24 - The Honourable Dennis Timbrell, Minister of Health, authorizes MDH to proceed with the first stage of their expansion.

1982

Colin and Gregory Rankin, North America's first test tube twins, are born at OTMH.

1983-84

The MDH expansion fundraiser "buy a brick" campaign sold a total of 1,015 bricks at $200 each.

1984

October - MDH's million-dollar expansion fund goes over the top by 11 per cent, raising $1.3 million.

1985

Construction of the new South Wing ay MDH commences.

 

January - The grand opening of the Bennett Centre in Georgetown, named for Stewart and Violet Bennett who bequest just over $1.3 million to the hospital when they passed away within weeks of each other in 1982.

1986

OTMH's CAT Scanner suite is officially opened, thanks to many months of planning and fund raising.

1987

Elinor Caplan, Minister of Health, officially opens the $17 million renovation and expansion at MDH. The new South Wing is comprised of 80,000 square foot addition to an original 60,000 square foot building. The addition includes a new Emergency Department, Diagnostic Imaging, Laboratory, Cardiac Care, a 30-bed Chronic Unit, Purchasing, Stores, Central Supplies, Admitting, a Birthing Room and a Heliport.

1988

A stylish new birthing room with a homey atmosphere at MDH is opened. - Beauty Salon in complex continuing care opens.

 

June - New MDH logo is launched.

1991

OTMH Charitable Corporation is formed - a non-profit organization dedicated to maintaining the highest level of healthcare services to the community through ongoing financial support to OTMH.

The Auxiliary to OTMH makes its first $ 1 million pledge to the hospital's New Equipment fund raising campaign.

 

The Georgetown and District Memorial Hospital Foundation held its first annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony.

1992

The Auxiliary was renamed the Georgetown Hospital Volunteer Association.

1993

The Auxiliary to OTMH makes its second $ 1 million pledge to the hospital's New Equipment fund raising campaign.

1994

Grand opening of the newly renovated OTMH Auxiliary Gift Shop.

1995

September is proclaimed OTMH Month by Mayor Ann Mulvale to mark the completion of the three-year $49 million redevelopment and expansion program.

1996

The first OTMH Classic is run through Olde Oakville raising $6,600.

1997

The Health Services Restructuring Commission announces its review of the Halton Region. Restructuring of the healthcare system in Ontario continues.

1998

August 1 - At the direction of the Health Services Restructuring Commission, Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital, Milton District Hospital form one corporate body named Halton Healthcare Services Corporation (HHS).

August 1 - At the direction of the provincial Health Services Restructuring Commission, Georgetown Hospital became part of William Osler Health Centre, joining Etobicoke General and Brampton Memorial Hospitals.

1999

Permanent funding is received to establish a 34-bed Rehab Unit at the OTMH site.

 

Application is made to the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care to develop the high school site in Oakville into a long term care facility in partnership with Extendicare Canada.

 

November 21 - MDH celebrates its 40th Anniversary of serving and caring for the community.

2000

OTMH celebrates fifty years of community healthcare.

2001

March 2001 - HHS completes the renovation and expansion of the OTMH Emergency and Ambulatory Care Department. The 18-month construction project included the complete renovation of the existing department plus the addition of 6,000 square feet in new clinical space. Also developed was a new 12,000 square foot ambulatory care area to house services such as the Halton Diabetes Program, the Eye Clinic, ConnectCare and the Psychiatric Partial Hospitalization Program.

2004

June - The Renal Dialysis Unit at OTMH expands its scope by providing Peritoneal Dialysis Service to patients.

2005

September - HHS receives approval from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to purchase and install a CT Scanner at MDH.

September 19 - The Government of Ontario announces that a new hospital will be built in Oakville.

May 27 - The Minister of Health & Long-Term Care announces the transfer of Georgetown Hospital from William Osler Health Centre to Halton Healthcare Services

Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital

Serving a population of more than 182,500, Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital (OTMH) offers a comprehensive range of care services to the residents of Oakville. Major programs include: maternal/child care; intensive care; emergency and ambulatory care; medicine; inpatient and outpatient mental health; surgery; inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation; and complex continuing care. OTMH hosts a number of regional programs including: renal dialysis; cardiac rehabilitation; diabetes education; and an outpatient eating disorders program. One Computed Tomography (CT) scanner and two Magnetic Imaging (MRI) machines are among the Hospital's diagnostic equipment. Other diagnostic services include nuclear medicine.

Halton Healthcare Services is building a new hospital in Oakville. The new hospital will be located on the North-West corner of Dundas Street and Third Line and will replace the existing hospital. At 1.5 million sq. ft., this facility will be more than three times the size of the current hospital. In addition to the services currently offered at OTMH, the new hospital will operate a Cancer Clinic. The New Oakville Hospital is scheduled to open in late 2015.

Milton District Hospital

Serving a rapidly growing population of more than 100,000, Milton District Hospital provides a range of care services to the residents of Milton. The Hospital’s major areas of clinical emphasis include: emergency; complex continuing care; obstetrics; general medicine; intensive care; surgery; and outpatient rehabilitation. The Emergency Department, open 24-hours a day, seven days a week, provides care for more than 33,000 emergency visits annually. Audiology, speech pathology, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, cardio-respiratory services and laboratory services support both inpatient and outpatient programs. One Computed Tomography (CT) scanner is among the Hospital's diagnostic equipment

In 2011, Halton Healthcare Services received approval for an approximately 320,000 square foot expansion at MDH. This expansion will more than triple the size of the existing facility. Planning is now underway for this much needed hospital expansion project which will support the needs of the rapidly growing Milton community.

Georgetown Hospital

Serving a population of more than 59,000, Georgetown Hospital offers a range of care services to the residents of Halton Hills. The Hospital’s major areas of clinical emphasis include: obstetrics; general medicine; surgery; and complex continuing care. The Emergency Department, open 24-hours a day, seven days a week, experiences more than 32,000 emergency visits annually. The Obstetrics Unit is a full service Level 1 facility. The Obstetrical Unit’s labour, delivery and post partum beds can accommodate seven patients and currently delivers more than 400 babies each year. HHS recently welcomed two orthopaedic surgeons who now provide a range of orthopaedic services to the residents of Halton Hills.

Halton Healthcare Services is currently expanding and renovating the Emergency and Diagnostic Imaging departments at GH. The expansion of these areas will enable the Hospital to respond to the community’s growing need for these services and create space for the Hospital’s first CT Scanner.

Uncommon content coming soon.